Monday, August 29, 2011

The worst day I've had in like.. a year?

So it started with a bonk. A bonk on the head.

A stupid, malfunctioning garage door panel flipped out and hit my dad on the head. And made the head bleed. Made the head bleed so much that medical attention was required.
But it was at this point that he decided to pull out his manly pride and say that he doesn't need medical attention. His head has been through a lot and it's still fine. And it has been through quite a bit, but every other time he got medical attention.
One time in particular, he had to spend a night in the hospital. He didn't remember his own mother. He had to be in a wheelchair when he went back to work. The wheelchair is gone now, but that was what it was like.

Since he is refusing to go to the hospital, I say, "I'm going outside, and I'm not coming back in until you go."
I never saw the head wound. I'm very bad with blood and I knew that if I saw it it would be bad.
I also knew that they didn't want me being outside, because it's late and because of a certain homeless person.

My grandparents arrived and made him go to the hospital, and coaxed me back into the house.

They glued his head shut. They ran a negative CT scan. He's all better now. We need to wake him up every three hours to make sure that he's okay.


Now aside from that, my sister (who is 6) is practically having a mental breakdown.
My dad has never been known for his health, and when you're young you start to imagine all the things that could happen. When you see your dad bleeding profusely from the head, sometimes you imagine the worst.

She was the one that heard the crash, and ran out to the garage to see. She found him. He never lost consciousness, but she was freaked out nonetheless.
I was out putting the stupid chickens in the coop, and she ran out crying about something. I made out: "She fell and got hurt,"
I knew she was watching Titanic, and so I assumed she was reacting to the scary parts in the movie. So I yelled back,
"Fine! Just turn it off and come down here," and she yelled "No!"
So I started getting suspicious. Why would she not turn off the movie that was scaring her?
Then I heard my mom scream, and say that my dad hurt his head. I dropped a chicken and ran inside, before realizing that I didn't want to see it.

I sat in the back of the house with Dyl (sister) while mom got dad in the car. But he never got in the car. He said he was fine. They weren't going to the hospital.
It was in this flurry that I called my grandparents (who live nearby) to come over with me and Dyl until they got back.

I heard dad yell, "*insert my real name*, it's fine! I'm fine! We don't need to go," so then I say, "Well, I'm just leaving then."
So I left.

And I stayed there for a while until my grandma came and said that she made him go. Everything would be better.

And everything is better. I  knew that he'd be fine if he went to the doctors, miracles happen every day. A bump on the noggin wasn't that bad.
It was just the fact that he wasn't going, it made me think, "What if there's something big that we're missing here? Something fatal that we're overlooking?"

So, in short, really suckishly bad day. My dad's head is wrapped in bandages. At least he's okay.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Spychip.

    I'm sorry to hear about what happened, but it's good that he's doing okay.

    Often you have to be forceful when dealing with men in situations like this. We have this annoying tendency to shrug off incidents like that and ignore them, I'm afraid that most of us lack common sense (which you probably already know)

    ReplyDelete